Blackhawks take the honours in Anzac Round

Sunday, April 24, 2016

On a great day for rugby league in Townsville the Townsville Blackhawks have enjoyed three out of three victories at Jack Manski Oval in front of large home crowd.

The Anzac Round game day began with a 30-14 victory for the Blackhawks Cyril Connell side in their Quarter Final over Victoria before the Mal Meninga side also notched up a victory in their Quarter Final against the same opposition. The Mal Meninga squad took the win 48-6.

The Townsville & Districts Mendi Blackhawks then took to the field alongside the Northern Pride for the Anzac Day ceremony. After a stirring rendition of the Last Post and the reading of the Ode the teams went to battle.

The first twenty minute belonged to the visitors as the Pride muscled up in defence and scored the first points through five-eight Jared Allen.

The Mendi Blackhawks were next to score as Jonathon Reuben crossed for the first of his two tries for the match. Reuben’s effort was quickly followed by a try to Jack Svensden as the home side’s defence parted and the Pride back rower strolled over the line.

Despite the Pride leading for much of the first half the teams both went to the break with a try each, with the difference being successful conversions and a single field goal for the visitors to put them in the lead 13-8.

Neither side controlled the ball well during the match and the game was littered with errors and scrappy play, but the Mendi Blackhawks defence held them in excellent stead as they powered through the second half keeping their opposition scoreless.

Mendi Blackhawks new recruit Brenden Santi showed impressive strength to score his first try for the club after he forced his way over the line just after the half time break. Minutes later another impressive solo effort lead to points as five-eight Kyle Laybutt took on the line and was rewarded with a try of his own.

The last few minutes of the match were riddled with uncharacteristic mistakes from the Pride’s back three and the home side capitalised with a final try to Nathan Norford taking the result to 26-13 at full time.


Photos courtesy of Alix Sweeney – © Alix Sweeney 2016