Blackhawks overrun Bears at Pizzey Park

Monday, July 6, 2015

With players missing due to family commitments, NRL duty and injuries it was a different Townsville & Districts Mendi Blackhawks side that arrived at Pizzey Park to take on the Burleigh Bears on Saturday. The visitors showed depth and an enviable ability to adapt on the run to player and positional changes as they ran out 46-12 winners in Round 17 of the Intrust Super Cup.

The Mendi Blackhawks jumped to an early lead three minutes into the match and the first try was cracker. A clever overhead pass from bullocking back rower Rhyse Martin put centre Moses Pangai over in the corner. After the initial try, points appeared hard to come by as the next 15 minutes of the first half were scrappy and resulted in a string of penalties being handed out.

The Bears attempted to put the visitors on the back foot, peppering them with high kicks and shifting the ball wide early but the Mendi Blackhawks trademark defense held solid. Burleigh’s line was also strong in the initial stages as they pulled off some try saving tackles to keep the game within reach.

It was the 21st minute by the time the next points were scored after a well-constructed backline shift resulted in a try for winger Jonathon Reuben, giving the Mendi Blackhawks a 10-0 lead.

Jahrome Hughes looked right at home playing five-eighth as he initiated the Mendi Blackhawks third try, drifting across field before putting Tom Humble over the line under the posts in the 31st minute. Burleigh were swift in their reply with a try to Dimitri Pelo just three minutes later taking the half time score to 16-6.

Mendi Blackhawks Interchange player Samsen O’Neill opened the scoring in the second stanza after chasing down a grubber from an enterprising Michael Parker-Walshe. The winger notched up his double just minutes later in his second game for the visitors so far this season. Burleigh’s halves combined well and the home side were able to find the line via Jamie Anderson, narrowing the margin to 16 points with twenty minutes left on the clock.

Fitness and structure both seemed to fail the Bears in the closing stages of the match as the Mendi Blackhawks ran in a further three tries through Zac Santo, Kyle Feldt and Jack Kelleher who scored a try on debut. Feldt was again impressive with the boot,notching up a personal points haul of 18.

Daniel Beasley was strong in his milestone 50th Intrust Super Cup match, making a 50m break and laying the platform up front alongside his front row partner Lorenzo Maafu and an evergreen Neville Costigan.

Coach Kristian Woolf praised his troops following the match, “It was a good performance against a side that played with plenty of energy & asked plenty of questions of our defensive line.”

“I thought we were quite strong across the park but standout performances came from Moses Pangai and Michael Parker Walshe on the left, and Kyle Feldt on our right. As always  we were lead well by our middles; in particular Dan Beasley in his 50th ISC game.” He said.

TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS 46 (Samsen O’Neill 2, Zac Santo, Kyle Feldt, Mosese Pangai, Jonathan Reuben, Tom Humble, Jack Kelleher tries; Kyle Feldt 7 goals) def BURLEIGH BEARS 12(Jamie Anderson, Dimitri Pelo tries; Khan Ahwang 2 goals) at Pizzey Park.

Photo Gallery courtesy of Vanessa Hafner