Blackhawks clip Magpies’ wings

Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Blackhawks launched out of the blocks on Sunday against the Souths Logan Magpies, scoring 18 unanswered points in the first 16 minutes. On a warm day at Davies Park the Blackhawks lined up for only their second game down south in Round 6 of the Intrust Super Cup. It was a clinical first 40 minutes from the visitors during which the home side barely troubled the Blackhawks defensive line.

Souths launched a valiant fightback in the second half when both centres crossed for tries four minutes apart in the opening of the second stanza before scoring two more tries towards the end of the game. The Blackhawks first half lead and late points in the second half proved too much of a hurdle for the Magpies and the Blackhawks took out the match 46-20.

There were a few green shirts visible in the crowd as fullback Jahrome Hughes slipped through a hole in Souths line to score the first points of the game. It took only five minutes for the next try to come, this time to a hard running Neville Costigan who showed surprising speed and footwork on his way to the line.

The home side didn’t appear to have an answer to containing the relentless roll of the Blackhawks forwards and Souths defensive line was again broken at the 16th minute mark when Rob Lui slipped over near the posts to score a cheeky try, much to the delight of this teammates.

Possession began to even out towards the end of the half as Souths started to see more of the ball, but the Blackhawks defense proved too solid and the Magpies were unable to convert their opportunities.

Blackhawks halfback Michael Parker-Walshe put back rower, and the competition’s leading try scorer, Rhyse Martin through a gap to score just before the 30th minute. Kyle Feldt followed this effort by leaping high in the next set to pluck a Rob Lui kick out the air and delivered it to Glenn Hall who scored out wide. Finally Parker-Walshe rounded out the half by slipping through Souths line to score his own try taking the score to 34 nil at the break.

Momentum in the second half was certainly on Souths side as they scored two quick-fire tries through Dallas Anderson and Tim Brooks. The Blackhawks then hit back through speedster Jonathon Reuben who appears to only be able to score tries in twos or threes. This week proved no different as Reuben backed up his first try with another just four minutes later after some nice lead-up work from Michael Parker-Walshe.

The Blackhawks appeared to lose focus at times in the second half which allowed Souths continue to chip away at the deficit with tries to Anderson and Herschel Gideon late in the half reducing the deficit to 22 points with ten minutes left to play.

The final points of the game came from an unlikely source with hardworking interchange forward Lorenzo Ma’afu bursting through the defense before running 40 meters and beating several defenders to score an impressive final try.

Complacency didn’t hurt the visitors as much as it could have due to their significant first half lead but Coach Kristian Woolf wasn’t pleased with his side’s drop in intensity “It was always going to be a game that presented some challenges for us with Souths coming off a  big loss and wanting to rebound. I was very happy with the way we approached the game and applied pressure in the first half.”

“Although disappointed with our drop in attitude and intensity in the second half, I’m positive that it won’t be an issue leading into a very tough encounter against Redcliffe at Dolphin Oval.” He said.


TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS 46 (Hughes, Costigan, Lui, Hall, Martin, Parker-Walshe, Reuben (2), Ma’afu tries; Feldt (4), Lui goals) def SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES 20 (Anderon (2), Brooks, Gideon tries; Joass (2) goals) at DAVIES PARK


*Photos courtesy of Vanessa Hafner & Ash Adams